Sorry, it’s been a bit of a crazy last few days. We got a new puppy and he’s a bit more rambunctious that Lady Oyster or I thought.
Anyway, here’s a few things that have caught our attention since last night.
1. Patrons of the Los Angeles County Library will be able to download three songs per week for free from Sony, courtesy of a new service named “Freegal.” Definitely a step in the right direction.
2. I have no idea what the Birmingham Hot Dog is, but I want to drive down to Alabama and eat one.
3. Lego Middle Earth is still just about the most amazing Lego thing you’ll see in a long, long while.
4. Zooey Deschanel is still adorably cute even when she’s ranting against being mean on the Internet, which was apropos back in 2004.
5. Johnny Depp has apparently made $350 million from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, which explains why he’d want to do part 5.
6. I meant to post this Van Damme commercial of him schilling for Coors Light in the UK. But it got pulled from YouTube and now, miraculously it is back. [via nextround]
8. Danish architect Jan Gehl on making city streets safer for people: “When the first pedestrian streets were introduced in Europe in the 1960s, there were really only two street models: those for vehicular traffic and those for pedestrians. Numerous types of streets and traffic solutions have since been developed so that today’s traffic planners have quite a wide range of streets to choose from: vehicular traffic-only streets, boulevards, 30 km/h (19 mph) traffic, pedestrian priority, 15 km/h (9 mph) areas, pedestrian-streetcar, pedestrian-bicycle and pedestrian only. The experience gained in the intervening years has also made it possible to reduce the number of traffic accidents and make walking or biking considerably safer and more comfortable.”
9. If you have nothing better to do, might I suggest heading over to Flavorwire to peruse their collection of ’80s “Rock Against Drugs” PSAs, one of which features a pixelated Lou Reed.
10. Vague spoilers for the second season of AMC’s The Walking Dead, pertaining to the cryptic whispering of Dr. Jenner into Rick’s ear.
Above: 404 Shower Curtain