Starting to get that warm warm weather here in Boston. It was a quiet weekend around the offices. Checked out the serious side of Adam Sandler in Reign Over Me. We’ll have some quick thoughts about it soon. Also go out and rent Half-Nelson.? Not only did Gosling deliver the goods, in a performance that topped his breakthrough role in The Believer, but the movie managed to be both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time.? Mostly it was heartbreaking though, make no mistake about it.
- ?After the fiasco that was the Walter Reed Medical Center, the politicos demonstrated their caring nature by quickly passing “The Wounded Warriors Prevention Act.”? The bill passes unanimously and will improve access to quality medical care for outpatients in military health care facilities, seeks to cut the bureaucratic red tape associated with obtaining timely and effective medical care, and improve the transition from care in the Armed Services to care in the VA system.? Kudos for sure, but one wonders if it weren’t for the scandal and how much the Washington set came off as fucktards would any of the bigwigs even cared to do something like this?
- ?EMI and Apple will announce a deal today to sell EMI music at the iTunes store sans DRM.? Good news for the consumer who will now be able to play those songs on any Mp3 player.? If there’s anyone who owns something other than an iPod, we’d love to know.? AEMI Music Group includes labels Angel, Astralwerks, Blue Note, Capitol, Capitol Nashville, EMI, EMI Classics, EMI CMG, EMI Televisa Music, Mute, Parlophone and Virgin.? It’s roster of musicians are well in the thousands.? Among them: The Beatles, The Beastie Boys, Lily Allen, Ben Harper, Norah Jones, Coldplay, Gorillaz, The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd.
- The good guys over at Google had a very funny April Fools Day joke.? Paper Archives for Gmail and Free broadband internet through your toilet.? I guess $143 billion dollars gives you a good sense of humor.
- The Nickolodean Kid’s Choice Awards turned violent late last night.? Well not really, since it was an after party.? But I digress.? A gunman opened fire and wounded three people.? Must have been upset that Rosie O’Donnell wasn’t the host this year.
- Will Ferrell continued his streak of ruling the box office.? Blades of Glory, the ice-skating movie with Napoleon Dynamite racked up a cool $33 million to land in first place.
- Chocolate Jesus will have to wait a bit before unleasing his dark side on the world.? After word got out about Cosimo Cavallaro’s “My Sweet Lord,” a 200-pound nude sculpture of Jesus, the Catholics got into an uproar about it and the statue went into cold storage.? Apparantly you can depict Jesus in painting, marble, or wood, but when you make him a sweet tempting treat of dark chocolate goodness with his jublies hanging out then you’ve crossed a line.? Regardless, doesn’t it seem that every Easter brings another “Artist depicts (fill in religious figure) using (fill in blank) causes controvery” story?? I think last year was Mary covered in shit.? Thoughs or predictions for next Easter?
- OPENING DAY.? RED SOX. First pitch at 4:10 p.m.? Yes, this is a national holiday around here.? Based on this one game the Red Sox are either going to win the World Series and be crowned the greatest team ever or they’ll lose and be a bunch of bums.? Either way start rejoicing in Manny being Manny, since this may or may not be the last season of his shenanigans.? And by shenanigans I mean, .320 – 40 HR – 120 RBI.
- Though it’s opening day for MLB, ESPN has a story about the Women’s NCAA Final Four as it’s headline story?? Really?? They’ve even regulated tonights epic showdown between the Gators and the Buckeyes to a mere side story.? Gotta love Florida in this game.? They just seem possessed to win back-to-back titles.? Noah vs. Oden should be interesting.? Noah’s not even remotely strong enough to handle Oden in the low block.? What’s really piqued our interest is Pat Forde’s story on athletic megaprograms.
- Gov. Deval Patrick is ordering out of state gay marriages to be recognized.? Mr. Big Balls it’s a bold move.? But we applaud your desire to protect the rights of all people.? Boston’s in a tizzy cause dudes are getting shot left and right.? The mayor’s even called in NYC’s Guardian Angels to help out.? One thing for sure though is we’re not Baltimore or Detroit.? 16 deaths this year isn’t too many is it?? Ok, you got me.? It is.