Allow me this transgression first: Buildings and Food is quickly becoming one of my favorite sites to read. Alesh Houdek has a site that makes me jealous. Great content, great layout, really everything you could want from a blog. I first discovered it through commenting over at Rex’s place and I’m glad I did. Today, he has a small nugget about five health care facts that’s just alarming.
- 62% of the bankruptcies in the United States are caused by devastating medical bills.
- 78% of those cases were people who had health insurance, but who found themselves not covered, or not sufficiently covered, when the time came.
- 18,000 people unnecessarily die here every year because of a lack of insurance.
- Of the top 50 richest nations in the world, the United States is the only one that does not have guaranteed health care for everyone.
- The last Republican administration had 8 years to fix the health care system their way, and they decided to do nothing.
I would also add that if you think health care reform is going to happen or that it’s going to happen and have beneficial changes for ordinary Americans you’re crazy.
Montana Senator Max Baucus, the Democratic Chairman leading the health care reform efforts, was the recipient of more Health Insurance Co. and Big Pharmaceutical campaign donations than any other senator. He’s not working for you and I.