2. Sadface emoticon: a virus spread through oral sex is the leading cause of throat cancer among under 50 set.
3. PopMatters celebrates George Harrison. The correct Jeopardy! answer would be: Who is the best of the four Beatles Alex.
4. Esquire examines the mystery of the bowler hat worn by Thom York in Radiohead’s “Lotus Flower” video.
5. Inside the US Memory Championships: “The unlikely story of how I ended up in the finals of the U.S.A. Memory Championship, stock-still and sweating profusely, began a year earlier in the same auditorium, on the 19th floor of the Con Edison building near Union Square in Manhattan. I was there to write a short article about what I imagined would be the Super Bowl of savants.”
6. Further proof that network executives don’t know what they’re doing: there are no 10 p.m. hits anywhere (because they are still playing by the old content paradigms of the 1960’s thinking they can’t do shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, et al.) except what’s considered basic cable channels and they think exploiting the virtual water cooler will be possible, except that the executives don’t seem to really get the value of watching the Grammys and making snide remarks on Twitter. Instead they want to lead the horses to their water, but that’s not what’s really happening.
7. The Satorialist finds love. Nice profile of fashion photographer Scott Schuman and GF Garance Doré, even if it is a little nauseating.
[photo via reddit]